1) A doctoral degree in psychology;
2) A one year psychology “internship” or an equivalent one year training experience in a clinically relevant area of psychology;
3) A two-year postdoctoral fellowship in clinical neuropsychology consistent with Houston Conference Guidelines or, for those trained prior to August 2000, a supervised postdoctoral training experience in clinical neuropsychology on at least a half-time basis;
4) Attainment of board certification in clinical neuropsychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) and the American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology (AACN) is acceptable proof for having successfully documented items 1 through 3 of this list;
5) A New York State license to independently practice psychology, or employment as a doctoral-level neuropsychologist in an exempt agency;
6) Completing the attestation of being in good standing within neuropsychology and/or psychology organizations; and
7) Attesting to maintaining active professional interests in clinical neuropsychology, by checking the applicable attestation box.
Early Career Membership
Student Affiliate Membership
1) Current enrollment in a psychology doctoral program that is either APA accredited or determined by NYSAN to meet equivalent standards for curriculum and for physical attendance;
2) Completing the attestation of being in good standing within the academic program of enrollment and current clinical training site (if applicable); and
3) Attesting to maintaining active professional interests in clinical neuropsychology through formal coursework, clinical experience, and/or professional activities by checking the applicable attestation box.
Regular & Early Career Membership Applicants:
1) Complete the questions on the application form which document training requirements and licensure status;2) Complete and sign the Professional Declaration Form;3) Include either: a) sponsorship, or b) verification material with the application:
a. Obtain sponsorship from two current NYSAN members – Each sponsor must email NYSAN stating that he/she agrees to sponsor the applicant’s membership,ORb. Submit a Training Verification Form from a former supervisor; and
4) Pay the annual fee for the appropriate membership level.
Affiliate Membership Applicants:
1) Complete the questions on the application form to document training requirements and attestation to exclusively practicing psychology outside of New York State;
2) Complete and sign the Professional Declaration Form; and
3) Pay the annual fee for "Affiliate Membership"
Student Affiliate Membership Applicants:
1) Complete the attestation to being currently enrolled in a psychology doctoral program and to being in good standing within the program, in addition to the current clinical training site (if applicable);
2) Include the following supplemental material with the application:
a. A current copy of student identification,
b. A signed statement verifying student status from a professor or current supervisor, submitted on the Student Verification Form;
3) Pay the annual fee for "Student Affiliate Membership."
Questions and/or concerns about membership should be directed to:
Christina Palmese, PhD, ABPP
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
10 Union Square East, Suite 5H Neurology
New York, NY 10003
Phone: (212) 844-8483 Email: Christina.Palmese@mountsinai.org